Morton Consulting has an immediate need for a DevOps Engineer (Application Infrastructure) for a client located in Richmond, Virginia. The selected candidate will be working side by side with the marketing and product groups to help deliver innovative solutions. The role will focus on: continuous deployment pipeline, automated testing, service resiliency, system stability, and release management.
This DevOps Engineer will be will be responsible for the administration of the web application’s infrastructure, software deployment, configuration, monitoring and maintenance of existing application infrastructure to ensure smooth operations.
- Maintains company website and other application environments, ensuring their performance and availability
- Works with Developers to support project work and to update & release to QA/Production with software releases, configuration updates, and other release requirements
- Monitors server performance and recommends changes as needed.
- Works closely with developers on other IT teams to support, design and optimize their web applications infrastructure environments.
- Prepares scripts to automate administration tasks.
- Determines and/or maintains standards for site infrastructure
- Responsible for the ownership of assigned environment administration tasks on projects
- Ensures that application infrastructure administration, support and development efforts consistently meet company standards, business requirements and direction
- Develops timelines for themselves and others to perform tasks and influences the team’s work to be completed within those timeframes
- Participates in a 24×7 on-call rotation as scheduled and must perform after hours’ support
- Categorizes support problems and respond with the appropriate level of urgency
- Develops and promotes standard operations documentation such as procedures, checklists and instructions
- Ensures systems adherence and compliance with security standards and practices
- Researches emerging trends in appropriate technologies and innovative solutions to new business problems.
- Works with vendors during RFP, contract negotiations and subsequent support efforts
- Works with 3rd parties to implement shared systems
- Proactively researches and evaluates existing systems in order to propose systems enhancements
- Creates designs of new infrastructure projects which span multiple teams
- Educates, trains and provides support to junior team members on newly adopted technologies and processes
- Reviews work related documentation for team members
- Motivates and assists team members in reaching goals
- Partners with other IT teams in completing assigned tasks/projects
- Leads large efforts to resolve enterprise problems by leading critical outage conference calls, coordinate the task management of deliverables across IT teams, and create Root Cause Analysis to communicate to the business and executive sponsors
- Influences the work of others to drive medium and large projects to successful completion through effective project management, customer interaction and IT coordination
- Mentors others in best practices, procedures and concepts
- Steers the relevant support tasks of other associates
- Drives through obstacles and time constraints to successfully deliver a project to completion
- Delivers solutions through building consensus in both business and technical perspectives
- Manages the tasks responsible for multiple projects and report upon their status & task timings
- Project management skills with proven ability in leading small to medium sized projects
- Demonstrated ability to compare and contrast alternative approaches to meet objectives while assessing risk both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Proven ability to manage own schedule and work independently with limited supervision
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Exhibits a high proficiency in communication with the user community and all levels of management to include written, verbal and listening
- Ability to understand and document business requirements as well as provide a proposal of the appropriate solution
- Ability to evaluate and interpret complex system error logs, performance metric, and other application or server output in order to identify problems in server performance or application execution.
- IIS installation, configuration and setup (version 7.5 or higher)
- PowerShell scripting
- Ability to perform application administration responsibly to ensure application access, performance, security and back-up/recovery is optimal and available at all times
- Ability to perform IIS installations, configuration and setup
- Experience with cloud computing configuration and administration (Microsoft Azure or AWS)
- Web application performance tuning
- Familiarity with one or more version control systems (Git, SVN)
- Experience building or managing applications from the Application layer down
- Understanding of the complete deployment lifecycle from design, build, test, deploy
- Knowledge of virtualization technology and methods (VMware/Xen/Hypervisor)
- Skills with automation, using scripting and tools like Splunk
- Automated deployment
Education and/or Experience:
- 6+ years of application infrastructure experience such as IIS Administration, etc.
- 4-year degree in IT related course of study
- 6+ years of experience in Windows Operating Systems, Internet protocols and database structures, SMTP, HTTP, security, directories, and replication in a multi-domain global environment.
- 5+ years of experience supporting a Waterfall and or Agile SDLC