Morton Consulting has a new opportunity available for a Project Manager with a customer in Roanoke, Virginia. This is a 12-month contract role where the Project Manager will oversee one or more IT system projects or multi-phased projects and be responsible for assembling project team, assigning individual responsibilities, identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing schedules to ensure timely completion of project. The Project Manager is responsible for maintaining the project budget. In order to effectively coordinate the activities of the team, the Project Manager must be familiar with system scope and project objectives, as well as the role and function of each team member.
- Identify appropriate resource needs; work with appropriate management to get resources commitments; make recommendations in sourcing strategy.
- Ensure contractual documentation is in place; utilizing appropriate procurement processes.
- Create and manage project schedule; track progress in completing project tasks. Ensure project schedules are as efficient as possible, utilizing critical path analysis where appropriate; and ensure project resources accurately charge time to appropriate tasks.
- Coordinate the activities of the cross-functional project team.
- Manage scope; utilize appropriate tools and processes to manager/track requirements and conflicts; ensure appropriate change management processes and tools are being used.
- Manage cost; ensure financial forecast is created and maintained throughout the project.
- Track and manage risk and issues; appropriately escalate to management and project stakeholders.
- Prepare and present status reports on a regular basis to management and project stakeholders.
- Ability to communication effectively and efficiently to any level of the organization.
- Participate in internal IT process improvements and make recommendations on areas of improvement to management team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project and Microsoft Project Server
- Working knowledge of at least one development methodology (i.e. Scrum/Waterfall/XP)
- Basic understanding of Organizational Change Management principles and ability to make recommendations for appropriate adoption of IT solutions.
- Understanding of basic project accounting principles
- Critical thinking and negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions across all levels of the organization; and cultivate relationships with internal and external customers to achieve business objectives
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline such as Information Technology or related field; and 5 to 7 years’ experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- PMP preferred